There’s no denying that Harleys are the definition of iconic. While the bikes may have a history of over 65 years, they have gained immense popularity in the last few decades. Harleys can now be everywhere, from movie sets to bar gigs and street rallies.
While these motorcycles are undoubtedly popular, one group of people who aren’t so lucky with the bikes are the riders. Just like every other vehicle, there is always a risk involved when riding a motorcycle. One of the common risks for motorcyclists is tank lift issues on Harley. We will tell you everything you need to know about Harley tank lift problems, their risks, and how to avoid them.
What Is A Harley Tank Lift?
A Harley-Davidson tank lift is a specialized lift designed for the motorbikes of the Harley-Davidson brand. It is used to maintain and care for the motorcycle, making it look brand new and sporty. The Harley-Davidson brand designs a specialized lift familiar as the lifts for their motorbikes.
It can maintain and care for the motorcycle, making it look brand new and sporty. On the other hand, a tank lift kit is a set of parts designed to fit a particular bike model and allow the user to lift the bike’s front end high enough to access the fuel tank.
Harley-Davidson motorcycle lifts are compatible with most models of Harley-Davidframes bikes so that you can use them with all models. A patent exists on a tank lift kit developed by DK Custom Products, which you can use with 1995 or newer models of Harleys.
Detailed Answer On Fixing Harley Tank Lift Problems
Few problems can cause more frustration than a malfunctioning Harley tank. The tank is commonly found on the Harley-Davidson Softail, Electra Glide, and V-Rod motorcycles. It is a large reservoir that stores fuel for the engine.
Filling it with fuel takes air from the air filter and mixes it with the fuel to create combustion. If this process goes right, your Harley will run more efficiently. Here are some common problems that lead to a malfunctioning Harley tank:
- The cap on the tank might be loose or worn out, allowing dirt and debris to build up inside. This can reduce airflow through the tank and cause it to clog.
- The o-ring at the top of the tank may have deteriorated or been damaged, allowing air to bypass the filter. This can also reduce airflow through the tank and cause it to clog.
- An obstruction in the fuel line could cause air to bypass the filter, causing an even more significant problem.
- A worn-out gasket can allow air to bypass the filter, causing an even greater problem.
If any of these issues occur, contact a qualified mechanic for assistance in diagnosing and fixing your problem quickly and easily.
Another 5 Problems With A Harley Tank Lift
The tank on a Harley-Davidson is one of the most important components for a rider and has to be in an optimum position to give a good feel of the road. A front or rear-mounted lift can help but will also require proper maintenance. If you are unaware of how to care for your motorcycle, it may develop issues with its tank over time. Additionally, a poorly designed lift can cause mechanical problems with your bike.
- The tank does not fit properly, with gaps around the edges. This can be due to several factors, such as improper fitment, misalignment of the tank or the chain drive, or simply incorrect scuff plate adjustment. Check all aspects of the modification before taking it in for repair.
- The chain drive has rust and debris clogging it. This can cause poor shifting and reduced performance due to increased friction. Replacing the chain drive is a relatively inexpensive repair that improves your overall riding experience.
- The seat has worn out and becomes uncomfortable over time. Replacing an old seat with a new one can be a cost-effective method of improving your comfort on the road.
- The footpegs are too far back and hard to reach on the bike. Adjusting the foot pegs forward can make it easier to shift gears while seated on the tank lift, especially if you have short legs.
The paint job on the tank lift could be more professional and look more neat compared to other Hogs in your area. A well-crafted paint job is essential for any modification project, but some shops cut corners on this aspect by using cheap materials and artificial colors instead of spraying paint directly onto metal parts like they would with a car body kit or motorcycle frame wrap.
How To Troubleshoot Harley Tank Lift Issues?
It’s important to know the symptoms of a tank lift problem on your Harley if you experience issues with the lift. This includes signs of leaking or damage to the lift, such as a torn hose, and the proper installation of the hose, the lift, and any other parts.
You should inspect for loose or worn parts on your motorcycle’s wheels, such as bearings. Finally, you should consult the manual for specific instructions on properly using and maintaining the tank lift. By taking these simple steps, you can ensure that your Harley is in good working order. And also addressing any issues with the tank lift quickly and easily.
If your Harley-Davidson motorcycle is operating poorly or has issues, consider taking the time to troubleshoot the issue. A tank lift can help with many common issues affecting a motorcycle’s steering. When checking the operation of a tank lift, check for recalls on your specific model, as some 2017 and 2018 Harley-Davidson motorcycles have had clutch issues.
Also, inspect and adjust the front neck and bearings to ensure that the front of the bike is tracking properly. Make sure to lube the steering head bearings when servicing the bike and take a Fix Your Harley wobble class if you’re having trouble with a particular issue. By taking the time to troubleshoot your motorcycle, you can ensure that it is running smoothly and free of any issues.
Tips For Avoiding Tank Lift Problems On Your Harley
To avoid tank lift issues on your Harley, you should check the steering head bearings to ensure they are correctly adjusted. This helps to avoid wobble and ensures the motorcycle can track properly and balance. You should regularly lubricate the bearings and inspect them for signs of wear and tear. Here are some tips for avoiding tank lift problems on your Harley:
- Look for a pre-wired harness or aftermarket wiring kit to add accessories such as heated grips, LED lighting, and GPS units. These kits simplify the installation process and can save money by eliminating the need to purchase additional wires and connectors.
- Be sure to clean out debris from around the air filter and intake manifold area. This helps prevent air turbulence that can lead to a tank lift problem.
- Keep the fuel system debris-free by regularly cleaning the sediment bowl and hoses. A clogged fuel filter can also lead to a tank lift problem.
- Perform regular maintenance on your motorcycle, including checking the spark plug, air filter, oil and grease levels, coolant level, and other essential parts. Proper maintenance helps keep your machine running smoothly and prevents unexpected issues that could lead to a tank lift problem.
There is no denying the fact that Harley-Davidson has become one of the most popular motorcycle brands in the country. They designed their motorcycles for road and off-road use. However, this means the vehicles require regular maintenance to stay in top condition. So, get familiar with these problems and solutions to keep your vehicle running smoothly. Besides, it helps if you know how to maintain your vehicle as well properly.
Understanding Harley tank lift problems and taking proper precautions can help avoid potential risks and ensure a safe and enjoyable ride. It is essential to be aware of the potential issues that can arise from installing a tank lift kit and to make sure that the installation is done by a qualified professional. By doing so, riders can enjoy the aesthetic benefits of a tank lift without compromising the safety and functionality of their Harley Davidson motorcycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.What Does A Harley Tank Lift Do?
Ans: A Harley tank lift is a product used to revamp the appearance of a Harley Davidson motorcycle and make it look more robust and sporty. It comes in various sizes, including 2″, 2.5 “, 3″, 1”, 1.5 “, 2”, 2.5 “, 3″, and 4”, and can be used to Care For and Maintain the Harley Davidson motorcycle.
2.Does A Tank Lift Affect Gas Mileage?
Ans: A tank lift kit for Harley-Davidson motorcycles may affect the fuel mileage of the bike. The higher angle on the tank may cause less fuel to reach the fuel pickup, resulting in a higher-than-normal fuel gauge reading.
3.How Do I Clean My Harley Fuel Tank?
Ans: Cleaning a Harley fuel tank is important for maintaining the motorcycle’s performance and longevity. To clean the tank, start by draining it and removing any debris or rust that may be present. Non-metallic brushes, rags, and sponges can gently scrub the tank’s interior. After scrubbing, use a fuel-safe cleaner to remove any remaining residue. Be sure to rinse the tank thoroughly with hot water before refilling.
4.Why Do I Want To Lift My Tank?
Ans: Lift your tank to improve the appearance of your bike and make it look more robust and sporty. Tank lifts come in various sizes to fit different Harley models from 1995-2017 and are compatible with most Harley-Davidson models. They provide a stable position to move and support your Harley when working on it, saving your back from crouching or sitting on the floor.
5.Is There A Warranty On My Harley Tank, And What Does It Cover?
Ans: Harley-Davidson offers a warranty on its fuel tanks which covers any possible leaks or defects. Tank lift kits are also available for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, such as Sportsters, Dynas, Softails, and Touring, ranging from 1″ to 4″ inches.